Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Strangers with Candy

"Strangers with Candy: The Movie" (Paul Dinello, 2005) I came in late on the whole "Strangers with Candy" saga, the Comedy Central series created by Amy Sedaris, Stephen Colbert and Paul Dinello, which wickedly (wickedly) parlayed the cliches of afternoon specials and turned them into sick, twisted comedic gold--crass, exploitive, politically incorrect and gut-bustingly uproarious. I don't know. I was delirious with flu symptoms when I caught it on cable, but the punched-up story of a high school's savagely competitive science fair had me and the wife giggling like naughty school children. K. had never heard of S. with C., but once I filled her in on the basic concept (46 year ex-con, ex-drug addict goes back to high school to earn her diploma) and some of the personalities involved--Amy Sedaris is the crueler sister of David Sedaris, Stephen Colbert you've already met--she was ready for anything. "Strangers with Candy" provides a lot of laughs, some sickness and like all after-school specials, everything turns out all right in the end except, of course, that the world is totally warped.

So is the film--gloriously so.

No comments: